Saturday, November 1, 2008

A bizarre Halloween

Yesterday was a bizarre Halloween - and i didn't really go out last night or dress up in costume (unless you count a suit as a costume, which I usually do).

I started the day in Irvine/Newport - and went to go visit one of the managers that I coach as he's in a development program... well, the leader who we call the 'lobby leader' was doing his job and asked how he could help etc and i said i wanted to speak with the manager. he said he'd let him know i was here and went to let him know. the manager, let's call him Bob, and the lobby guy, Frank - for the sake of ease... anyway, frank comes back and says Bob is busy - so i sit in the chairs and wait. Frank is, i'm guessing about 23/24 - and he proceeds to be conversational as he should - doing is job - he helps other customers and then he comes back and starts to flirt with me. now, in fairness to Frank - he didn't know i worked for corporate. he thought i was a customer. he asks me to join him this halloween evening - i decline saying that i had to fly home in a few hours. later he says, "so i guess you won't be visiting me later in the store". later he's over at the halloween candy table that they have set up in the store for the kiddies... and he goes over pokes through the candies and trinkets and hands me a green plastic pumpkin ring. i must have looked AWESOME (more than usual) yesterday for a guy to know me 10 minutes and hand me jewelery. you get the gist of where this is going... and Bob is finally finished and we go and chat for 15 or 20 minutes and i have to get going as i have a plane to catch.
well Bob reintroduces me to Frank - and tells Frank who i am - from corporate, etc. and the poor chap just got very nervous all of a sudden. i think my favorite part of the exchange was i was telling bob how frank had been very nice and had done a great job of talking to me, etc. and frank says, well given you're corporate, it's a good think i wasn't hitting on you.
i almost lost it!
well i look at my watch and my plane is scheduled (note the word usage there) to take off in an hour - and i have to get going as i have to return my rental car, etc.

it was a lovely compliment to have this young guy hit on me... definitely made my afternoon... but then... i got the airport and it all became even more bizarre...

No comments: