Saturday, September 20, 2008

bookphile

so, i love books. Ever since my parents put my first book in my hand - i've loved them. i enjoy reading them. i enjoy talking about them. Though my high school english teach Mr. Ellis - may disagree. [side note to Mr. L Ellis - i'm Dr OG now - so HA! - i can articulate myself! :P and i do]

in fact i love books so much if i had to choose between reading a book and a ben stiller movie - books would win EVERY time. Books wouldn't win if it were up against jason statham, however.
so, you get how much i love books!

but for as much as i love them - i am quite picky about what i read. please note that i didn't say i had standards, because i don't.

even given my pickiness - i have a stack of books at home i've either started or are sitting thus far, untouched.

books i'm currently "reading":
- Bonk The curious coupling of science and sex (very interesting research)
- Mindless Eating (a good read about food)
- Guns, Germs and Steel (good look at societial development)
- It's your ship (a book i'm reading to evaluate if it would be good for use at work)

books i have and haven't started:
- Deja Dead and Dead du jour both by Kathy Reichs
- The Sexual Paradox (about men and women in the workplace)
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (borrowed from a friend)
- and more fab fiction on the shelves

I've actually never had so many books on the go at once. possibly because i tried to read two books at once in high school and became horribly confused. The reason for this confusion was that the main characters had the same name - Mr Archer. Admittedly the books were very different. Book one was for school and was an Austen style book. The other was a Clancy or John LeCarre. i don't recall - either way - though both books were very different. I realized it wasn't in my best interest from a comprehension perspective - to read both [root cause, Mr Ellis for me not being able to articulate myself - possibly].

so the point of this post was that i'm ready to actually make time in my calendar because the books are piling up at the moment and i don't feel like a book lover!

i am more like a book collector that buys or borrows books to put them on my shelf to display them proudly so when you visit the OG cave you can think to yourself "my, the OG is well read and must love books" - but sadly no.

i am just a book person who has some books on her shelf.

1 comment:

Mrs. Finch said...

I'd like to recommend against "Guns, Germs and Steel" - the author just seems to make things up that fit his ideas and sites absolutely NO references.

I'd like to recommend "Omnivore's Dilemma" (not a book about becoming a vegetarian or anything like that, but a FASCINATING read), and I'd also like to recommend "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle".