Monday, September 22, 2008

on the way to the offsite

so... i love to drive. actually, let me re-frame that. i love to drive my car on fun and exciting roads. i don't love to sit in traffic or drive in a straight line as much. so i was presented with an opportunity to drive to south lake tahoe for a work meeting.
i figured out that it was cheaper for the company if i drove my own car up. so... i became terribly excited about the prospect of driving up and potentially being able to explore Tahoe a bit as i was going to take monday after my morning meetings - go 'offline' and go for a drive.

well the best laid plans of mice and optimist girl often go wrong...

because 150 miles into my journey the OG mobile... Jayne... started to overheat and i had to pull of the road.

i am ok.

the car. perhaps, not so much. when i popped the hood - there was no coolant in the coolant reservoir. i don't know much about cars... but i do know, that's bad. so i made some calls, and AAA would be on the spot for assistance in 30 minutes. :) in the mean time, i made a few calls to friends and to coworkers who were expecting me in tahoe. no tahoe for me last night. i also had quite a few drivers ask if i needed assistance, which was great. :)

i had to pull of the road in Placerville, CA.

POST PAUSED
POST CONTINUED 9/24 - Wednesday night...

i did indeed make it up to tahoe... and the lack of coolant was because the car was overheating bc the temperature gauge was broken.

so... $300 later... i have my car back and i'm back on the road.

i'm bummed as i wasn't able to get out and about in Tahoe - but i had to work so much that i wouldn't really have had the chance even if i'd had my car. grr.

but i'm incredibly happy that Jayne chose to break down where she did - before the Sierra Nevada mountains... when it was a warm sunny day at 4pm and not in the mountains, or when it was wet, cold or dark!

it is probably the most fortuitous timing in my life and usually... my timing sucks.

No comments: