Thursday, December 18, 2008

arrival at the treehouse..

*WARNING*
I am currently experiencing nice weather in FL - I say this not to brag - but to prepare the reader for sunny pictures and descriptions of a warm tropical climate.

*END WARNING*

(consider yourself warned)

I descended upon the treehouse around lunch time yesterday. In fact, I arrived with just enough time to run and grab a spot of lunch before logging in to work. This trip isn't all about margaritas and good times! This trip is about work too (no, margaritas & work don't mix).

Today was my first full-day here and I once again worked and got out for some lunch. Here's the view from my lunch spot (not the treehouse).

I am grateful that the weather here has been so good as I could be at home in SF - swamped with rain and frozen with chilly temps. Or working out of LA where it is snowing in places. or in Vegas.

But tonight, I was reminded why I enjoy the get away. I do miss spending time with friends while I'm here - but tonight, I looked up into the sky and saw the sky covered in stars. So peaceful. As I walked home - I could hear the splash of the waves, taste the salt in the air on my lips and see the sky above me reminding me about what is truly important in life.

I love the work I do - but doing it 24-7 isn't realistic. I wrote my dissertation about work life balance and the one thing that folks ask me when I say that is "how do I get balance". And my answer is usually the same. Three easy installments of $19.95 + S&H. And after they laugh (and they usually do)... I remind them, that balance isn't that simple. It's about creating priorities, what's truly important to you. And to me, if I have to work a little bit while I'm here to get to spend 3 weeks locked up at the beach, so be it. I'll log off next week - and part of the week after. But in the mean time, I'm going to enjoy the time off in between my conference calls.

And on that note, I leave you with this view...

No comments: